Tuesday 13 November 2007

Bribery, Smoking and Break-ins

While it seems that I've forgotten about this blog lately, I haven't. I've just been so busy smashing my head off a brick wall at the sheer amount of stupidity which working for this company entails. Two aspirins and a slightly bruised forehead later, I returned to the hotel wondering what horrors lay in wait.

Here are three scenarios which have happened whilst I have been on duty and their respective outcomes.

Scenario One:

After he had finished his shift, the barman decided to have a drink and go to his room. That was fine, until I later realised that he had charged his drink to a guest's account. To my knowledge, the guest hadn't authorised this with the duty manager, me, so I took great pleasure in taking that drink off their bill and leaving a note for the relief general manager to ensure that the barman paid for his drink in the morning.

The outcome: The relief general manager doesn't know about this, as the receptionist "conveniently" disposed of the note. The barman didn't pay for his pint of lager and no further action was taken against him.


Scenario Two:

One of the restaurant supervisors came into the hotel with the kitchen porter at around three in the morning. I watched him on the security cameras in the office, when I noticed that he was smoking in the hotel. I immediately went to the bar, where they were pouring drinks for themselves, and asked him to put the cigarette out and return to his accommodation. He then told me that it was "OK" and that he "smoked in the hotel all the time." After he left, I left a note for the Food and Beverage Manager (his superior).

The outcome: No action taken. All the supervisor did was apologise.


Scenario Three:

There are four external doors to the hotel, each of which are closed and locked during the night. So, knowing that all doors were locked, I was quite surprised to see the restaurant supervisor wandering around the kitchen, drunk, looking for something to eat. He was subsequently told where to go and I then ensured that all doors were locked.

The outcome: Relief General Manager informed, but I don't know of any actions taken yet.


Is it any wonder that the last owners of these hotels managed to gain a four star status, but almost immediately upon selling them, they've been regraded and are now three stars?

The "bribery" part in the post title, refers to the day when the hotel called me, on my day off, and asked if I could work that night. When I said no, they then told me that they "had been told to offer me £25 on top of my pay, if I covered the shift."

Yes, I am looking for another job. This one is possibly the worst job I have had in a long while.

3 comments:

cogidubnus said...

Sorry, did Scenario 4 relate to the bribery or is summat missing? Perhaps the Restaurant Supervisor stole Scenario 4?

Sounds like Staff Discipline is a thing of the past in that hotel...it's bad enough receptionists intercepting/diverting your communications with a manager, but bloody unforgivable that the smoking incident went NFA - I'm not a smoking fascist but there has to be a realisation that this is a law (albeit maybe not a good one) which the industry needs to address.

Something's very wrong there...

Al said...

Not surprised you're looking for another job, I would be too in your position.

Night Warden said...

Scenario 4 didn't exist, even if it did, I forgot about it. Post changed to reflect this.

I've spoken to the HR manager about the smoking scenario and according to them, because he apologised, no further action will be taken against him. He broke the law, said "Sorry" and nothing more was said. Does it remind anyone of the British Judicial system?

As for my latest post, there has to be a law somewhere regarding the state of the bar.

Please don't suggest I sit down and talk with the management team about it all, I'd rather sit in a dark room and bang six-inch nails into my eyeballs than talk to them.