Saturday 17 November 2007

I'm going insane...

Last night, I really couldn't be bothered going in to work. So I called the hotel several times within a half an hour period. All of these calls went unanswered. So I begrudgingly went to work.

The hotel is very quiet, except for the creaking floorboards, so they wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't shown up. So, as there was a severe lack of anything motivational to do. The bar staff "clean" their own bar in this hotel. The longer you spend behind the bar here, the more chance you have of gaining the title of 'Bar Person'. That's not because over a period of time you become more skilled at pulling pints, it's because you, literally, stick to the floor. The floor behind the bar has a thin film of spilled alcoholic and soft drinks from years gone by. Well, since this company took the place over.

There is virtually no security in this hotel until I come on shift. It is each department's responsibility to ensure that their workplace is secure before clocking off for the night. So, I'd like to know why, last night, the following places were left unsecured:
  • The Main Cellar. All the alcohol, kegs, spirits, etc. are stored in here. Mind you, if you're taller than 4'2", then you haven't a chance of being able to stand up straight (to imagine the maximum head clearance in here, you know those kegs which are delivered to pubs and clubs? Well, stack two of them, one atop the other and this is pretty much the maximum height, give or take a few inches.)
  • The Wine Cellar. Essentially a cupboard where all the wines are stored. Including the champagnes and some spirits for the optics.
  • The Manager's Office. Seriously, the door to this place is directly opposite the door to the reception. You'd have to be blind not to see that it was wide open when you left. Why didn't you close it?
  • The Kitchen's Dry Storage Room. OK, this was chef's fault of course. But with the recent antics of the staff that I've seen. I'm surprised it wasn't stripped bare by the time I clocked it.
There is a large function on tonight, but I'm hoping that they've all cleared off before I start my shift. Failing that, I'll just close the bar and tell them that they were lied to when the receptionist told them it was a 24-hour bar. When they complain in the morning, I'll protest my innocence and say that I never said anything of the sort. It seems to work for the rest of the staff in this place.

There are some changes afoot in the staff. The General Manager, who went off on sick leave is apparently leaving/has been sacked (I'm not sure which), so at Hotel B, there will soon be a new manager. The Food & Beverage Manager has been demoted to "Breakfast Supervisor," despite the fact that a few weeks ago, she vowed never to work mornings, as they were impossible to get up for. The "Smoking Supervisor," sorry. . . I mean "Restaurant Supervisor" has been demoted to a wait-on position. There are also a few positions vacant, although I'm not sure how the company can justify taking on all these new people when we are currently under-staffed due to budget cuts on the payroll.

Some good news though, I can confirm that the maintenance man at Hotel B has fitted two locks to the staffroom window to stop them climbing in and out of that at night as a means of access to the hotel. I shall no longer be worried about going into the kitchen to find someone standing there when I know all the doors are locked.

That's all for this post, I'm off now to post my application off for another job. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Al said...

I know the feeling of trying to phone in sick and not getting an answer. We have a dedicated number which is supposed to go through to the DM but it's nearly impossible to get an answer. If you try ringing the main store number they just transfer you to the DM and you don't get an answer....

Funny how it's always answered when you're phoning to say when you'll be back.

Best of luck with the application.

cogidubnus said...

Perhaps the new management team will be a new broom?